On April 2, 1926, 22 forward thinking women made it their goal to address serious issues facing the Tampa community. In the following months, members of what was then referred to as the Junior Service League, elected their first president, Marion Harvey Partrick, adopted a constitution, appointed Louise Garretson “Placement Chair”, and elected 100 young women to provisional membership. The first project of this organization was the opening of a circulating library and a gift shop in the Crescent Apartments. Undaunted by the crash of the Florida Boom in 1926, the Junior Service League completed their plans for a Charity Ball to benefit the ‘Community Chest’ drive. Despite the admission fee of $10 per couple, the dinner and ball netted $1,800. At the end of the first year, Tampa’s Service League had 96 members who had worked 6,350 volunteer hours in welfare agencies.
During the second year, our Founders undertook the management and partial financing of the Pine Health Preventorium, a temporary home for undernourished children, especially those exposed to tuberculosis.
In 1928, the Association of Junior Leagues (AJLI) sent three “inspectors” to visit the Tampa Junior Service League. With support via sponsorship by the Jacksonville Junior League, we were notified of our acceptance as a Junior League on March 1, 1928.