We believe everyone deserves to have the period products they need.
Period poverty is reported by 1 in 4 women living in the U.S. according to a recent survey*. This means they struggled to purchase the period products needed to participate fully in life.
To fight this issue in Hillsborough County, The Junior League of Tampa launched its Alliance for Period Supplies (APS) project in 2019. The project works with a network of partners around Tampa to distribute period supplies to menstruators in need. Every month our team purchases, packs, and fulfills monthly orders which are provided free of charge to our community partners.
We distribute period products in Period Packs to our partner organizations. These packs have 10 tampons or pads of the same size.
Period Poverty Facts
According to a survey by U by Kotex conducted with YouGov:
- 1 in 4 women struggled to purchase period products within the last year due to insufficient income
- 1 in 5 low-income women report missing work, school, or similar events due to lack of access to period supplies
- 88% of women agree period products are a basic necessity
- Lack of access to period supplies is linked to using substitute products, stretching product usage, and missing important events
- Only 4% of women are aware of local resources where free or reduced cost period supplies are available
- Federal and State safety net programs cannot be used for period supplies
Help us Fight Period Poverty
We need your help to fight period poverty.
Period poverty impacts 1 in 4 women in our community. By giving, you help us purchase essential period products for those in need.
We rely on our community partners to distribute period supplies to the members of our community, who are most in need. Our 2020-2021 Distribution Partners are
Academy Prep Center of Tampa, Bay Area Youth Services, Beth-El Farmworker Ministries, Children’s Home Network, Gulf Coast Jewish Family Services, Hillsborough County College, and RCMA.
The partnership application for the 2021-2022 year is now open. Applications are due by May 1st at 11:59 pm.
Alliance for Period Supplies
The Junior League of Tampa is a proud member of The Alliance for Period Supplies is an initiative of the National Diaper Bank Network (NDBN). Learn more about period poverty and the Alliance’s effort to combat it.
Join U by Kotex® & Help Women Access Period Products
Millions of women struggle to access period products each month. Together we can change that. U by Kotex is launching the With U, She Can program because we believe that a period should never stand in the way of a woman’s progress. Period. As the founding sponsor of the Alliance for Period Supplies, U by Kotex will expand our commitment by increasing awareness and access to those in need.